We know you peep at those attractive and toned triceps, hoping to get the same for yourself. But you get scared due to those heavy dumbbell workouts, thinking you can’t do it. Believe me, you can. We know It’s not a piece of cake but it’s not rocket science either. This article will help you understand your triceps and how these triceps workouts with dumbbells can shape them up. What’s the wait for? Let’s go-to shape those triceps.
Let’s understand the tricep muscles
Before shaping them up, first, we shall know what are triceps. Triceps brachii (the official scientific name) is a thick muscle present on the backside of the upper arm region, running from the elbow to the shoulder. This muscle is divided into three parts.
1. Long head: It makes up the largest part of the triceps brachii and is also known as the inner head. It is an easier target than the other heads of the triceps.
2. Lateral head: Another name for the lateral head is the outer head. It is a bit smaller than the long head but when trained, makes the sides of the arms look attractive.
3. Medial head: The smallest head of the triceps, embedded deep in the muscles, and can’t be observed outside. It works out in every exercise.
Working out of all these triceps muscles is necessary to get the benefits like enhanced upper body performance, increased shoulder stability, and shaped and toned arms with muscular symmetry.
Top 5 Triceps workouts with dumbbells
The exercises to train triceps can be performed both with or without dumbbells. However, to train each and every head of triceps efficiently, dumbbells are recommended to add to the tricep workout routine. Following dumbbell-based tricep exercises are easy to follow:
1. Triceps Bench Press
To perform this workout:
- Keeping your back flat, lie down on a bench. You also have to keep your feet flat on the ground.
- Hold the dumbbells in both hands right beside your chest but a little upward and your palms should be facing each other.
- Extend your arms upwards while pushing the dumbbell.
- Hold yourself in the respective position for 3 to 5 seconds and then slowly lower down the dumbbells.
- Repeat after a short break.
2. Triceps Kickbacks
You can follow these steps to reap the benefits of this workout properly.
- For this exercise, you’ll need a bench. Place one of your hand on the bench for the support.
- Maintain the position of your body while keeping your spine straight and your hips should be in the air.
- Now, hold the desired weight dumbbell in your other hand and start lifting the dumbbell.
- This lifting should be making a 90-degree angle while being in line with your torso.
- Now, straighten your arm to its limits, in the backward position.
- This one was a one repeat. Now, perform the similar steps while holding a dumbbell in your other hand. In that way, this exercise will shape your triceps while working on alternative arms.
3. Incline dumbbell curls
Follow these steps to perform this workout.
- Find a workout chair and settle yourself on it with your body inclined at a 45-degree angle.
- Your feet must be touching the ground and your arms holding dumbbells should be extended at your sides.
- Curl one hand at a time and then the other, alternatively. Keep curling until the dumbbell touches your shoulder and then go back to starting position to perform repeats of the sets.
4. Hammer curls
To perform hammer curls, follow these steps.
- First, maintain a straight posture by standing straight with carrying dumbbells weighing equal in both of your hands.
- You need to keep your shoulders relaxed before performing hammer curls.
- To work out your triceps, while keeping your upper arm straight, bend your lower arm from the elbow and pull the weight close to your shoulder. Before lowering down the weights, hold yourself in this position for 3 to 5 seconds and then get back to the initial position.
- Relax and repeat.
5. Seated triceps extension
This workout can easily be practiced with these steps:
- Sit straight on a bench and in a vertical direction hold a single dumbbell with both of your hands.
- Place your hands behind your head while making the angle of 90 degrees with your elbows and keeping the upper arm straight.
- Start raising the dumbbell until your arms are fully extended and pause for a few seconds in this position.
- Slowly lower down the dumbbell while keeping the upper arms straight.
- Rest and repeat.
Though you can work out triceps without using any equipment what do the wise people say? “The more the merrier”. So, a little weight won’t hurt but will only help you. Shaping up your triceps with the dumbbells is an exciting variation in your exercise routine and can tone up your triceps in a short period of time. But if you are not comfortable with the weights, there are plenty of other weightless alternatives.
I look up to fitness as a lifestyle and love to pen down about it. I have 2 years of experience in content writing and I am here to share my research and knowledge on health and fitness.